We can help with a range of problems related to the price of energy, however unless you think your supplier is charging more than is allowed under Ofgem’s price cap, we won’t be able to consider complaints about the actual price of energy.

For more information about the support that is available if you are struggling to pay your energy bills, we recommend visiting the Citizens Advice website or talking directly to your supplier.

The complaints process FAQs

Frequently asked questions about the complaints we can and can't deal with.

When can I complain to Ombudsman Services?

This video explains when you can escalate your energy or communications complaint to Ombudsman Services. For more information on submitting complaints, or to take action and submit your complaint for investigation, visit our website: www.ombudsman-services.org


How do I complain about my provider?

Our step-by-step guide has information about how to complain to us, including things you will need to include in your complaint. When you're ready to complain, click here.

This video may help...

How do you investigate?

  • We look at the complaint raised and the evidence submitted by both parties.
  • We consider your consumer rights.
  • We review the evidence against relevant legislation and expected industry practice.
  • We make our decision.
  • We recommend what can be done to put things right.

What is a final decision?

The final decision is based on the information provided by you and the provider, and includes the remedies that we feel are a fair resolution to the complaint.

What outcome can I expect if I complain?

We can ask companies to carry out a number of things:

  • Take practical action e.g. credit your account, cancel an account, change your tariff.
  • Make an apology.
  • Offer a financial 'Time and Trouble' award. Click here.
  • Make recommendations to prevent this happening again.
  • A combination of these actions.

How do I chase a response about my complaint?

You can check the status of your complaint or message the investigation officer by logging into your online account here.

This video may help...

When will I receive the remedy?

We give providers 28 days from the date the remedies are accepted by both parties to resolve your complaint.

Do I have to accept your decision?

You can appeal our decision but only if a mistake has been made, or you have new information for us to take into account (with a clear reason why this was not submitted earlier).

We’ll always try to decide on a fair outcome, but if you’re still not happy you can reject our final decision. Then you’ll be free to resolve your complaint by other methods, such as through the civil courts.

I have raised a complaint with you. How do I get into my online account?

Login into your online account here.

This video may help...

How do I reset my username and password?

You can reset your password here

This video may help...

What types of file can I upload?

We can accept the following file types:

pdf, csv, txt, doc, docx, xls, xlsx, ppt, pptx, png, gif, jpg, bmp, mov, mp4, mp3, m4a, tif, tiff

How do I add more evidence?

Login into your online account to add more evidence here.

This video may help...

What do I do if I am having issues with my online account?

If you're not able to access certain areas of your online account or are unable to complete required actions, such as uploading evidence, please contact us by phone, or you can send any copies of evidence by post. You can find our contact details here.

You can call our team to help you access your online account. For energy complaints, call 0330 440 1624. For communications complaints, call 0330 440 1614.

Phone lines are open Monday to Friday 8am until 8pm and Saturday 9am until 1pm. We are closed on Sunday and Bank Holidays.

03 numbers, introduced by Ofcom, are an alternative to chargeable 08 numbers such as 0845. Calls to 03 numbers cost the same as, or less than, calls to 01 and 02 prefixed numbers and are included as part of any inclusive minutes or discount package.

These rules apply to calls from any type of line including mobile, fixed line or payphone.

You can call our team to help you access your online account. For energy complaints, call 0330 440 1624. For communications complaints, call 0330 440 1614.

How do I report system issues?

Let us know about any system issues by logging into your online account and sendng us a message. Alternatively, please call us. For energy complaints, call 0330 440 1624. For communications complaints, call 0330 440 1614.

Can I ask a solicitor or other advisor to help with my complaint?

Our service offers a free alternative to going to court and you do not need to involve a lawyer or legal advisor when bringing your case to us. You are, however, entitled to seek independent advice or be represented or helped by a third party at any stage of the process.

Am I allowed to withdraw my complaint?

Yes. As someone who has decided to use our service you are free to stop the process and withdraw your complaint at any point.