We can help with a range of problems related to the price of energy, however unless you think your supplier is charging more than is allowed under Ofgem’s price cap, we won’t be able to consider complaints about the actual price of energy.

For more information about the support that is available if you are struggling to pay your energy bills, we recommend visiting the Citizens Advice website or talking directly to your supplier.

Eversmart Energy: advice for affected customers (UPDATED)

Ombudsman Services | Last updated Sep 13, 2019

Below is a copy of a communication that we sent on Friday 13 September to customers who had a complaint about Eversmart Energy open with us at the time of the company's collapse.

UPDATE: Your complaint about Eversmart Energy

Dear customer,

We contacted you on Friday 6 September following the announcement that Eversmart Energy had ceased trading.

Unfortunately, in light of the company’s collapse we can take no further action on your complaint about Eversmart and have had to close your case.

This applies whether your case was awaiting investigation, being investigated or we had reached a decision and you were awaiting a remedy.

Utilita Energy has been appointed by the energy regulator, Ofgem, to take on Eversmart’s customers and ensure your energy supply continues as normal.

READ: Ofgem appoints Utilita Energy to take on customers of Eversmart Energy

This means Utilita has an obligation to set up accounts for its new customers and bill accurately.

In order to do this, Utilita might need to correct any outstanding problems (e.g. fixing broken meters). In addition to its standard obligations, Utilita has agreed to honour outstanding final credit balances for both current and former Eversmart customers.

Please note that Utilita will need to rely on Eversmart’s administrators to provide it with final account information. This might mean a delay in Utilita honouring credit balances.

If your Eversmart Energy account is yet to be finalised: You will be contacted by an administrator in due course.

If you have an outstanding financial remedy that you believe the administrator should consider: You can confirm this with the administrator.

If Utilita fails to meet its obligations as your new supplier (for example if it does not set up your account correctly, fix outstanding issues, or honour a final credit balance): You can raise a complaint with Utilita. If you don't accept the company's final offer or you've waited at least eight weeks after complaining, you can escalate the matter to us as a new complaint.

In summary:

• We are unable to take any further action on your complaint about Eversmart

• If Utilita does not meet its obligations as your new supplier, you can complain to Utilita

• If you don't accept Utilita’s final offer or you've waited at least eight weeks from complaining, you can start a new complaint with us

We’re sorry that we are unable to continue handling your complaint about Eversmart Energy.

Kind regards,

Ombudsman Services: Energy