- Energy complaints treble in first quarter of 2014 to 10,638 complaints – a 224% rise on the first three months of 2013
Latest figures from Ombudsman Services, the Ombudsman for the energy sector, reveal that energy complaints have continued to soar at record levels with a 224% increase on complaints figures for the first quarter of the year. For the first three months of 2014, Ombudsman Services received 10,638 complaints relating to the energy sector trebling the 3,277 complaints received over the same period last year.
Billing remains a consistent top complaint with 2,062 consumers complaining about not receiving bills and another 1,474 making complaints relating to billing charges. Quality of customer service was also a major issue with 1,067 complaints received.
The figures have been released as Ofgem announced its intention to refer the energy market to the Competition and Markets Authority for a full market investigation. Chief Energy Ombudsman Lewis Shand Smith commented:
“Consumer frustration and dissatisfaction is something that we hear about every day and we welcome any attempts by Ofgem to make the energy market fairer. With energy complaints trebling in the first quarter of this year and problems relating to billing the greatest concern, increased transparency is something that should be addressed.”
- ENDS -
Notes to editors
- Ombudsman Services is a not for profit, private company limited by guarantee.
- Ombudsman Services runs national, private sector ombudsman schemes which provides independent dispute resolution for the communications, energy, property, copyright licensing sectors, the Green Deal, the ABFA, Reallymoving.com and Which? Trusted Traders scheme.
- The Chief Ombudsman’s speech about the future of Ombudsman Services in a changing consumer redress landscape can be accessed here
- Ombudsman Services provides an expert dispute resolution service. The service focuses on encouraging early agreed resolution wherever possible and does not charge a fee so it’s able to offer access to redress for consumers to resolve their complaints without proceeding to the civil courts.
- Ombudsman Services is a full member of the Ombudsman Association (OA) and adheres to its principles.
- Further information about Ombudsman Services can be found at www.ombudsman-services.org