New legislation requires all redress providers to be approved.
25th September 2015 - Ombudsman Services has today announced that it is approved by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), the independent specialist aviation regulator to operate as an approved alternative dispute resolution (ADR) body providing a scheme for aviation consumers under The Alternative Dispute Resolution for Consumer Disputes (Competent Authorities and Information) Regulations 2015 (as amended) Regulation 9.
Approval means that passengers of airlines signed up to the scheme who have disputes relating to issues such as denied boarding, delays or cancellations will be able to bring their complaint to Ombudsman Services if a satisfactory resolution cannot be reached with the airline concerned.
From 9 July 2015 legislative changes will mean that all dispute resolution providers will need to be approved by the government approved Competent Authority to operate within the sectors they serve. For aviation, the CAA is the competent authority with responsibility for approving potential providers.
Chief Ombudsman Lewis Shand Smith says: “We are the UK’s largest multi-sector provider of dispute resolution. We are experts in the sectors in which we operate and so to obtain approval from the Civil Aviation Authority to bring our expertise into the aviation sector is fantastic news.
“Plus with extensive experience of working with regulated industries and professional bodies as well as with many businesses throughout the UK it also endorses what we do and how we do it – so it’s a real accolade.”
About Ombudsman Services
- Ombudsman Services is a not for profit, private company limited by guarantee.
- Ombudsman Services runs national, private sector ombudsman schemes which provide independent dispute resolution for the communications, energy, property, copyright licensing sectors, the Green Deal, the ABFA, Reallymoving.com and Which? Trusted Traders scheme.
- Ombudsman Services provides an expert dispute resolution service. The service focuses on encouraging early-agreed resolution wherever possible and does not charge consumers a fee. It is able to offer access to dispute resolution and redress as a proportionate alternative to the civil courts.
- Ombudsman Services is a full member of the Ombudsman Association (OA) and adheres to its principles.
- Further information about Ombudsman Services can be found at www.ombudsman-services.org