Dundonians unhappy with customer service they have received are being urged come and speak to an ombudsman during a free two-day roadshow in the city this month.
Advisors from Ombudsman Services - the largest multi-sector ombudsman in the UK and a not-for-profit organisation which operates at no cost to the public purse or to consumers - will be on hand at the Overgate Shopping Centre to hear complaints from Dundonians about products or services that they feel haven’t been adequately handled by a company. Consumers with a complaint about their energy, mobile phone or broadband provider are particularly urged to come and speak to the team. Representatives from Dundee City Council’s Trusted Traders team will also be on hand to offer their assistance.
Last year, Ombudsman Services handled over 95,000 complaints in the UK - 9,385 of those were from Scotland, with the majority from the energy or communications sector. The team will be available on Thursday 30 June and Friday 1 July from 9am until 5pm, located next to River Island and Oasis in the Overgate Shopping Centre, Dundee.
Chief Executive, Lewis Shand Smith, explains more: “We’re holding these roadshow events around the country to raise awareness of the work Ombudsman Services does and how we can act as a mediator in helping to resolve disputes between consumers and companies. People complain about a wide variety of things but, primarily, what we see are complaints about billing and people paying for a service they do not actually receive. In cases like this we are able to step in and try to find a resolution. What we do is free to the public; the companies who have agreed to work with us pay for our services. The decisions we make are legally binding on the company but the consumer maintains their right to take further legal action if they are not satisfied with the outcome. We know that Scottish people complain less than others in the UK so I hope Dundonians will come and speak to us and learn about how they can get the kind of customer service they deserve.”
Dundee City Council Convener of community safety and public protection Councillor Alan Ross said: “Anyone who has issues with goods or services provided by companies should take advantage of the Ombudsman Services roadshow in Dundee. The council works closely with Ombudsman Services on our Trusted Trader scheme and I am very impressed with the services they provide. It is reassuring that both Ombudsman Services and our own Trading Standards team are here to protect the rights of local consumers."
Ombudsman Services find that the retail sector is where people experience the most problems, with 31% of all complaints being about that sector. Energy providers and telecommunications companies, providing broadband, mobile phones contracts etc, also attract a significant number of complaints.
Published 14 June 2016
For more information, please contact Graeme Downie on 07973 300 184 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
The events will be held on Thursday 30 June and Friday 1 July from 9am until 5pm next to Oasis and River Island in the Overgate Shopping Centre, Dundee.
About Ombudsman Services
- Ombudsman Services is a not for profit, private company limited by guarantee.
- Ombudsman Services is a member of The Civil Mediation Council.
- Ombudsman Services runs national, private sector ombudsman schemes which provide independent dispute resolution for the communications, energy, property, copyright licensing sectors, the Green Deal, the ABFA, Reallymoving.com and Which? Trusted Traders scheme.
- Ombudsman Services provides an expert dispute resolution service. The service focuses on encouraging early-agreed resolution wherever possible and does not charge consumers a fee. It is able to offer access to dispute resolution and redress as a proportionate alternative to the civil courts.
- Ombudsman Services is a full member of the Ombudsman Association (OA) and adheres to its principles.