Communications Team | Aug 15, 2016
Leading UK appliance care specialist Domestic & General has appointed Ombudsman Services to provide ADR to its customers.
Leading UK appliance care specialist Domestic & General has appointed Ombudsman Services to provide a bespoke alternative dispute resolution (ADR) scheme to its customers. The appointment follows this years’ Consumer Action Monitor* by Ombudsman Services which revealed that 43% of UK consumers who lodged a complaint would feel more confident in a company that offered a resolution service.
Commenting on the news, Chief Ombudsman Lewis Shand Smith said: “Domestic & General’s appointment of Ombudsman Services shows how seriously it takes customer service, an area of growing importance to consumers. It is a signal of intent that they want to provide service to the level its customers both expect and deserve. With this move, Domestic & General is showing it puts customers first.”
Domestic & General provides appliance care services for UK and International clients and comprehensive product protection for more than 16 million customers. It has four UK offices, in Brighton, Bedworth and Nottingham with its headquarters in Wimbledon.
Dean Keeling, UK Managing Director at Domestic & General added: “Customer service underpins everything we do, and we’re constantly looking for ways to improve our customers’ satisfaction. In the unusual event of a dispute not being resolved in-house, we believe the Consumer Ombudsman can provide a fair outcome and bring peace of mind to both parties.’’
Ombudsman Services is the UK’s largest provider of Alternative Dispute Resolution. It is the sole provider of ADR in the energy sector, and also operates schemes in communications, property and copyright licensing. The Consumer Ombudsman was launched last year and provides ADR in all sectors aside from health and finance.
The role of Ombudsman Services is to investigate complaints fairly by taking into account both sides of the story and making a recommendation on what, if any, action should be taken to resolve the complaint. So that complaints can be handled effectively, companies using the scheme agree to provide the necessary information and to abide by the ombudsman’s decision.
* Figures from Ombudsman Services’ 2016 Consumer Action Monitor. Ombudsman Services commissioned ICM research to carry out a nationally representative survey of adults aged 18+. A total of 2,355 people were questioned throughout Great Britain (excl. Northern Ireland), with representative quotas for gender age, region, social grade, work status and tenure all accounted for. The research was conducted between 22 and 25 January 2016.
About Ombudsman Services
- Ombudsman Services operates the consumer ombudsman, an online service which can be accessed at www.consumer-ombudsman.org or by telephone at 0333 300 1620
- Ombudsman Services is a not for profit, private company limited by guarantee.
- Ombudsman Services runs national, private sector ombudsman schemes which provide independent dispute resolution for the communications, energy, property, copyright licensing sectors, the Green Deal, the ABFA, Reallymoving.com and Which? Trusted Traders scheme.
- Ombudsman Services provides an expert dispute resolution service. The service focuses on encouraging early-agreed resolution wherever possible and does not charge a fee to consumers so it’s able to offer access to redress for consumers to resolve their complaints without proceeding to the civil courts.
- Ombudsman Services is a full member of the Ombudsman Association (OA) and adheres to its principles.
About Domestic & General
Domestic & General is the market-leading appliance care provider for household appliances and consumer electronics in the UK. We take the worry out of appliance breakdowns for over 16 million customers and carried out over two million repairs last year alone. That’s why major brands in the UK and throughout Europe rely on us to take care of their customers. Internationally, we operate across a number of markets, most notably in Australia, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and Portugal. Find out more about us at www.domesticandgeneral.com.
Published August 2016