Policy and consultation responses
Because of the work we do, we have a lot of information which could be useful to others. Where we can provide valuable insight and information we will do so. Also, when we need to make changes to the way we work we will ask for views about the best direction to take.
Ombudsman Services Consultations
When we will consult
We are interested in the views of our stakeholders. We believe that if we understand the views of our stakeholders before we take a major decision we will gain a better outcome.You can view our consultation policy here.
Consultations we have responded to
We think it is important that we respond to consultations that affect the sectors we provide redress for, or where we have useful evidence or experience that can contribute to the debate. In our responses we take care to emphasise that we are an independent organisation. You can read our recent consultation responses below.
- Ombudsman Association Service Standards Framework
- Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) consultation on reforming consumer complaints handling
- Ofgem's collective redress consultation
- Ofcom's consumer switching consultation
- The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills' transposition of the ADR directive into UK law
- Ofcom's consultation on price rises in fixed term contracts
- Ofgem's Smart Meter Implementation Code of Practice consultation
- Ofgem’s review of Supplier Guaranteed and Overall Standards of Performance
- Energy and Climate Change Committee – on the data collected for the Green Deal
- The Association of Residential Managing Agents (ARMA) consultation on the self-regulation of ARMA members.
- Ombudsman Services: response to Ofgem’s consultation on financial penalties and consumer redress policy
- Ombudsman Services: response to The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills' consultation on the enforcement of civil remedies.
- Ombudsman Services: response to Ofgem's Retail Market Review - Updated proposals for business.
- Ombudsman Services: response to Ofgem's Retail Market Review – Updated domestic proposals.
- Ombudsman Services: response to Ofgem's consultation on consumer vulnerability strategy.
- Ombudsman Services: response to the Law Commission's consultation into unfair terms in consumer contracts.
- Ombudsman Services: response to the Trading Standards Institute's consumer codes approval scheme consultation.
- Ombudsman Services: response to the PPL consultation: Code of conduct.
- Ombudsman Services: response to the Performing Rights Society's (PRS for Music) consultation on its Code of Conduct.
- Ombudsman Services: response to the Department of Media, Culture and Sports' consultation Communications review - the consumer perspective.
- Ombudsman Services: response to Department of Business Innovation and Skills' (BIS) midata consultation.
- Ombudsman Services: response to Consumer Focus' consultation Proposals for Design principles for the Regulated Industries Unit.
- Ombudsman Services: response to proposed changes to the Estate Agents Act (EEA) 1979.
- Ombudsman Services: response to the Consumer Focus consultation on the review of supplier performance model.
- Ombudsman Services: response to the Intellectual Property Office's (IPO) consultation on its mediation service.
- Ombudsman Services: response to DECC's consultation on proposed new powers for Ofgem to compel regulated energy businesses to provide redress to consumers.
- Ombudsman Services: response to Ofcom’s consultation on the Review of Alternative Dispute Resolution Schemes.
- Isle of Man’s Office of Fair Trading (OFT) consultation on Estate Agents.
- The Leveson Inquiry Team (letter).
- Response to DECC's consultation on the Green Deal.
- The Green Deal consultation response to the energy committee.
- Feed in Tariffs (FITs) consultation response.
- The Ministry of Justice consultation solving disputes in the county courts.
- Empowering and Protecting consumers consultation.
- Office of Fair Trading guidance for estate agents consultation response.
- Office of Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education Pathways three consultation.
- Ombudsman Services response to Ministry of Justice’s consultation on Transforming bailiff action.
Ombudsman Services consultations (closed)
We have around 8,900 companies using our services to resolve their customers’ complaints. Last year we resolved over 19,000 complaints. We aim to resolve complaints effectively and quickly – most are sorted within six weeks. We know that just sorting a complaint in isolation is not enough. Participating companies, regulators, customers and Ombudsman Services itself – believe it is important to learn from the complaints we handle. We proposed to make more of the data we hold on complaints available to the public, by publishing regular sets of data on our website for you to use and interpret. We wanted to know what data you would find useful and invited responses - a copy of the closed consultation can be viewed below.
From autumn 2013 Ombudsman Services will be publishing more data about the complaints it handles. The decision is the outcome of a public consultation held between 17 September and 14 December 2012. The consultation sought the views of companies, regulators and consumer bodies on the types of data they wanted to see published. Click here to read Ombudsman Services consultation on data publishing - response and intentions.