If your energy supplier has ceased trading, we’ll provide an update on your case as soon as Ofgem nominate a 'Supplier of Last Resort' to take over as your new supplier. Until that time we appreciate your patience and recommend you take a meter reading.

More information on our SoLR process is available here.

We operate the Parking on Private Land Appeals (POPLA) service on behalf of the British Parking Association (BPA)

POPLA are dedicated to resolving complaints surrounding parking on private land. Continue your complaint via their dedicated website by clicking the link below.

Want to find out how to log an official complaint?

We have a step-by-step guide on what’s involved in logging an official complaint to your provider.

The complaints process

Want to know more about your rights?

There are some services you can contact if you want help understanding your rights when complaining.

Understanding your rights