We can help with a range of problems related to the price of energy, however unless you think your supplier is charging more than is allowed under Ofgem’s price cap, we won’t be able to consider complaints about the actual price of energy.

For more information about the support that is available if you are struggling to pay your energy bills, we recommend visiting the Citizens Advice website or talking directly to your supplier.

Shell Energy Broadband (formerly First Utility Broadband): we can review your complaint.

If you have an unresolved complaint about a communications or energy product or service we may be able to help.

Information for Post Office customers

Post Office has sold its Broadband and Phone business to Shell Energy.

Shell Energy will start transferring services over to its broadband and phone network from November 2021 and be completed by early 2022.

The customer migration from Post Office to Shell Broadband has now started.

Guidance from Ombudsman Services

  • If you first complained about your issue to Post Office, please register your complaint against Post Office, even if you are now a Shell Broadband customer.

  • If you have first complained to Shell Broadband about your issue please continue to register your complaint against Shell Broadband.

Helping to improve customer service in the communications sector.


We resolved 80% of communications complaints in under 6 weeks in 2020.

We strive to resolve complaints quickly, making fair and balanced decisions.


56% of all communications complaints that we handled in 2020 were completed online.

We resolve complaints involving a wide variety of issues.


The typical goodwill payment that we awarded to consumers was £79 in 2020.

We ask providers to recognise when they have let customers down.

Ready to submit a complaint about Shell Energy Broadband (formerly First Utility Broadband)?

There are a number of things you need to do before you can complain to us about Shell Energy Broadband (formerly First Utility Broadband). You'll need to log a formal complaint with the company, then allow them eight weeks to investigate or wait to receive a deadlock letter.

View our full complaint process

What outcome can I expect if I complain?

We can ask companies to carry out a number of things:

  • Take practical action (e.g. credit or cancel an account, change your tariff).
  • Make an apology.
  • Offer a financial 'Time and Trouble' award. Click here.
  • Make recommendations to prevent this happening again.
  • A combination of these actions.

We resolve communications sector complaints about all sorts of things

  • Billing
  • Customer Service
  • Installations / delays
  • Switching suppliers
  • Loss of service
  • Sales
Browse our most common issues