Collective Management Organisations 

We resolve complaints about Collective Management Organisations that have joined our service. These are listed below:


Collective Management Organisation click for more information  Website click to visit
Authors' Licensing and Collecting Society (ALCS) Authors' Licensing and Collecting Society (ALCS)
British Equity Collecting Society (BECS) British Equity Collecting Society (BECS) 
Design and Artists Copyright Society (DACS) Design and Artists Copyright Society (DACS)

Directors UK (DUK)

Directors UK (DUK)
NLA media access limited NLA media acess limited
Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL) Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL)
Printed Music Licensing Ltd (PMLL) Printed Music Licensing Ltd (PMLL)
PRS for Music (The Performing Rights Society) PRS for music
Publishers' Licensing Services Ltd (PLS) PLS website
The Copyright Licensing Agency Ltd (CLA)          The Copyright Licensing Society Ltd (CLA)
The Educational Recording Agency Limited (ERA) The Educational Recording Agency Limited (ERA)


Authors' Licensing and Collecting Society (ALCS)

The Authors’ Licensing and Collecting Society is a not-for-profit membership organisation, run by writers, for writers. They collect secondary royalties on behalf of over 80,000 writers across the UK and abroad and pay them directly to Members, twice a year. They campaign and lobby on issues of importance to writers both at a national and international level, to ensure that writers' rights are both recognised and rewarded.

Authors' Licensing and Collecting Society 
The Writers' House 
13 Haydon Street 

Tel: 0207 264 5700


British Equity Collecting Society (BECS)

The performers’ union Equity established BECS in 1998 in order to enforce its members’ rights in the UK and collect revenue from the compulsory collective administration of rights in other EU member states. Performers in many European countries are compensated for the use of their audiovisual work via a system of legal rights. These rights entitle them to remuneration when their work is copied for private use, rented in video shops, retransmitted on cable channels or publicly broadcast. BECS negotiates a share of the revenue generated in this way for British made productions that are exploited in the countries with performers’ rights. BECS has agreements in place with 17 overseas collecting societies.

British Equity Collecting Society Ltd
Guild House
Upper St Martin's Lane

Tel: +44 (0)20 76700350


Design and Artists Copyright Society (DACS)

Established by artists for artists, DACS is a not-for-profit visual arts rights management organisation. DACS translates rights into revenues and recognition for a wide spectrum of visual artists. They provide three rights management services for artists: Payback, Artist's Resale Right and Copyright Licensing.

Design and Artists Copyright Society
33 Old Bethnal Green Road
E2 6AA  

Tel: 0207 336 8811


Directors UK (DUK)

Directors UK is the professional association of directors working with the moving image in the UK. Directors UK exists to ensure that the importance and centrality of directors is recognised, and to give directors a powerful and united voice at the centre of the industry.

Directors UK 
Inigo Place 
31-32 Bedford Street 

Tel: +44 (0)20 7240 0009


NLA Media Access Limited

NLA Media Access Limited provides organisations with permission and access to newspaper content when and how they need it. That's permission to copy and access over 1,500 titles either direct, using Clipsearch or via your media monitoring agency.

NLA Media Access Limited
Wellington Gate
Church Road
Tunbridge Wells

Tel: 01892 525 273


Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL)

PPL is the UK-based music licensing company which licenses recorded music to be played in public or broadcast (including online). Established in 1934, PPL carries out this role on behalf of its tens of thousands of record company and performer members. PPL is committed to providing first-class service to all its customers, and has adopted and published Codes of Conduct setting out its key commitments to its members (and prospective members) and licensees (and prospective licensees). The Codes set out important information about PPL (and how to find out more), what members and licensees can expect from PPL, and how members and licensees can help PPL to help them. The Codes – which also include details of PPL’s complaints procedures – can be found on the PPL website. PPL’s public performance licensing is now carried out on PPL’s behalf by PPL PRS Ltd, a joint venture between PPL and PRS for Music which has its own published Code of Conduct and complaints procedure for public performance licensees (and prospective licensees).


1 Upper James Street

Tel: +44 (0)20 7534 1000


Printed Music Licensing Ltd (PMLL)

PMLL is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Music Publishers Association and manages the licensing of the copying of printed music in the UK on behalf of music publishers. PMLL’s first collective licence is available to schools in the UK. That licence is administered for PMLL by the Copyright Licensing Agency Ltd (CLA). PMLL obtains mandates to issue licences from the copyright owners of printed music and distribute royalties to those copyright owners. PMLL also monitors the market to ensure that its licences provide a benefit to copyright owners, and to see whether licences should be changed or new licences developed in order to benefit copyright owners. If you own the copyright in printed music publications and would like to know more about PMLL please contact:



The Performing Rights Society, PRS for Music  

Is the United Kingdom association of composers, songwriters and music publishers. It administers the performing right in their music. PRS for Music has a code for handling complaints. If you have not already complained to PRS for Music we will be unable to help.

Complaints about membership should be referred to:

PRS Complaints Member Services
29-33 Berners Street

Complaints about licensing should be referred to:

Customer Relations ManagerPRS for Music 
Elwes House
19 Church Walk
PE1 2UZCustomer Relations Manager

PRS for Music Elwes House
19 Church Walk

Publishers' Licensing Services Ltd (PLS)

The Publishers' Licensing Services Ltd was established 30 years ago by the UK publishing industry. Its role is to: 

  • oversee a collective licensing scheme in the UK for book, journal, and magazine copying; 
  • stimulate innovation and good practice in rights management; and 
  • clarify the relationship between traditional copyright management practices and those needed in the digital age. 

PLS represents the interests of publishers in the collective licensing of photocopying and digitisation. Together with the Authors' Licensing and Collecting Society, PLS owns and directs the Copyright Licensing Agency and works in partnership with the Design and Artists Copyright Society. PLS is owned by the Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers, the Professional Publishers Association, and the Publishers Association. 

Publishers' Licensing Services Ltd
Barnard’s Inn
86 Fetter Lane

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7079 5930
Twitter: @PLSlicensing  


The Copyright Licensing Agency Ltd (CLA)

CLA licences enable you to copy and share information efficiently across your organisation while minimising the risk of copyright infringement. CLA licences have been developed specially to meet the needs of information users in the digital age and a range of solutions are available to help you protect your organisation and respect the rights of copyright owners.

The Copyright Licensing Agency Ltd
Saffron House
6-10 Kirby Street

Tel: 020 7400 3100

The Educational Recording Agency (ERA)

The ERA Licensing Scheme permits staff at educational establishments to record, for non-commercial educational purposes, broadcast output of ERA's Members. You will require a licence if you wish to use recordings of broadcasts as teaching resources. Most educational establishments in the UK are already covered by an ERA licence. This may be by individual licence or as part of a blanket licence agreement, but all licences are renewable annually. Please check current tariffs and licensing agreements for further information.

The Educational Recording Agency
Verulam House
60 Gray’s Inn Road

Tel: 020 7837 3222