Home improvement complaints

Ombudsman Services can consider complaints about home improvement companies who are currently members of the Double Glazing and Conservatory Ombudsman Scheme (DGCOS) or Home Insulation and Energy Systems (HIES).

Step 1 – contact the trader

The first thing you must do is contact the trader to tell them that you are unhappy and give them a chance to resolve the issue. Traders are required to have their own complaints processes, which you must follow. You must tell the trader about the problem within 12 months of knowing about it

Step 2 – acknowledgement and proposal

Once you have complained to the trader it should firstly acknowledge your complaint and secondly offer you a course of action within 28 days. If you accept their proposal, the trader then has a further eight weeks to implement the agreed resolution.

Step 3 – bringing the complaint to us

If the trader hasn’t resolved your issue within eight weeks; or

You have received a deadlock letter* from the trader.

 You’re ready to register your compliant with us. You need to bring your complaint to us within 12 months of receiving a deadlock letter.

*A deadlock letter is an official letter to you confirming that it has not been possible to resolve the complaint and you have not already accepted a final settlement or resolution in relation to the complaint.

What the ombudsman can and cannot deal with

 We can deal with complaints where the trader is a member of DGCOS or HIES

 We cannot accept a complaint if:

  •  you have not complained within the timeframes set out above;
  • the complaint appears to be frivolous or vexatious;
  • the complaint has no reasonable prospect of success, recovery or redress;
  • the complaint is not about member of one of the aforementioned schemes;
  • the complaint has been or is subject to court proceedings, arbitration, or other independent procedure for the resolution of the complaint or dispute (unless there is proof that the aforementioned process has been abandoned, stayed or suspended); or
  • the complaint was previously handled, unless significant evidence has come to the attention of the Ombudsman Services that may have an impact on the previously reached decision.
  • Ombudsman Services has absolute discretion to decide whether a complaint is within its terms of reference.

Make a complaint

To make a complaint about a home improvement company that is a member of DGCOS or HIES please call 0330 440 1634 or complete an online compliant form.

Home improvement
Ombudsman Services
PO Box 1249