What can we deal with?
What types of complaints can we handle?
The law requires sales, lettings and managing agents to belong to a redress provider. Ombudsman Services: Property is an approved ombudsman scheme for these sectors. RICS also requires its members who offer surveying services to domestic consumers also to belong to a redress provider and we are the only approved scheme to provide this.
Complaints might include:
- an apparent breach of obligations;
- unfair treatment;
- avoidable delays;
- failure to follow proper procedures;
- rudeness or discourtesy;
- not explaining matters;
- poor or incompetent service; and
- disputes over a deposit at the end of a tenancy*.
*If your complaint is about how much of the deposit your landlord has kept, you should refer this to the relevant tenancy deposit scheme
You can use our service if:
- you are complaining about a property company listed on our website;
- you are complaining about a chartered surveying firm or a surveyor that has provided, or is contracted to provide, a surveying service to you;
- you have relied on the surveying services of a chartered surveyor of a surveyor;
- you are an actual or potential buyer or seller or a residential property who has a complaint about an estate agent that has provided, failed to provide, or is contracted to provide, a service to you;
- you are an actual or potential buyer or seller of a residential property who has relied upon the services of an estate agent;
- you have a complaint against a letting or a residential managing agent that has provided, or is contracted to provide, a service to you; and
- you are representing a customer who meets the above conditions.
We cannot deal with:
- complaints that we consider to be malicious or unjustified;
- disagreements between the companies that participate in our service;
- complaints that are already being dealt with by the courts or other complaints procedures; or
- firms or companies which have not joined our service please check if the company is listed on our website.